Friday, April 16, 2010

Sculpture of Norval Morrisseau

Mine is a city that invites the imagination to thrive. Many wonderful artists call Stratford home. Not only the theatrical and musical arts flourish here, but visual arts of all types abound.


On my walk home today I saw one of my neighbours out creating a new garden. I stopped to chat and she invited me in to see her finished sculpture. It stands 8 feet tall and is a 3D portrait of Norval Morrisseau, an Ojibway artist and Shaman who is considered by many to be one of Canada's most original and important artists.



When he was 19, Morrisseau recovered from a severe illness after a mystic ceremony performed by a medicine woman, where he was given the name "Copper Thunderbird". In the late 1950's he became sick again with tuberculosis and met his wife Harriet Kakegamic in a sanitorium in Thunder Bay. She taught him to sign his artwork as Copper Thunderbird in Cree syllabics. My artist neighbour, Susan Murar, has captured the dichotomy of the face of the thunder bird interwoven with that of the artist. I was captivated by the sculpture's eyes and the intricate details that pull images from his artwork. Back and front, both sculptures in the set display a wonderful array of Ojibway legends.




If you are ever passing through Stratford do take the time to look up artist Susan Murar. She is a fascinating and talented woman. The statue, by the way, is created from white plasticine.

1 comment:

  1. I am Blog Master of the NORVAL MORRISSEAU BLOG @ http://norvalmorrisseau.blogspot.com/ .

    I am asking for permission to post this lovely article presenting great art of Susan Murar.

    Thank you so very much.

    Spirit Walker

    ReplyDelete