Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Hunting

I went hunting tonight.

The cormorants have gradually been returning. On one of my walks I spotted 16 of them.

Last night when my friend and I were walking, we saw a new kind of water fowl. By the shape of the head, we thought we were watching baby loons. But no, it was the cormorants. I had not seen them in the water before. They are actually quite gracious and great fishers! Like a loon, they dive under the water and you wonder if they will ever surface. All of a sudden they pop up a little ways off, often holding a fish in their mouth. On the tree they look menacing...in the water, they really are rather comic.

So I went hunting tonight to see if I could capture a picture for you. They have pretty well stripped the top foliage from their present resting spot and tonight I saw one landing in a new tree. I wonder how soon they will ravage it.










It is all part of the natural cycle of life, and I guess I feel privileged to be able to observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment