Friday, July 17, 2009

You Never Know!

July 17, 2009

The breezes were stirring gently as twilight tinged the sky. Strolling along Downie Street, I soaked up the silence after the crowd had moved into the Avon Theatre for the evening's performance. Restaurateurs were bringing in their patio chairs and getting ready to close. There was a sense of quietude, of tranquility.

As I walked, I glanced up and there they were. Gargoyles? In Stratford?

Indeed. They rest atop the condo building across from the Y, as if guarding the area where our youth are known to gather. Memory took me back to a cartoon show when my boys were young where certain gargoyles came to life to protect the citizens of their community. Ah, imagination!

Some gargoyles have a rather scary look, but these ones are kind in countenance.


You never know. Perhaps they do come down to enjoy the sweet peace of Stratford on a summer night. You never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment